Promises Kept, We Have:
- Opened Trustee meetings to the public by moving them to Town Hall and televising them live
- Established an Accabonac Harbor mosquito larvae monitoring program
- Enlarged Georgica Pond’s water quality program, in partnership with Friends of Georgica Pond, the Village of East Hampton and The Nature Conservancy
- Expanded Sag Harbor’s water quality monitoring program, in partnership with Southampton Trustees and Sag Harbor Village
- Proactively pursued a long-term water quality improvement program for Wainscott Pond
- Held numerous public meetings on the Deep Water Wind Project, and are fully engaged in the Federal and State review process
- Promoted public beach access
- Created a horseshoe crab breeding study
- Increased the very popular oyster gardening program
- Spearheaded the Town’s ban of helium balloon release
- Educated students about Trustees’ responsibilities by visiting local schools
And we promise to continue to be actively engaged, searching for answers to the challenges of today and those of tomorrow.
Mike Martinsen is an oyster farmer and fisherman by trade, and a surfer, diver and nature enthusiast at heart. He is a founding partner of the Montauk Shellfish Company Inc. and now owner of the Montauk Pearl Oyster Farm.
Mike is a lifelong Democrat and has served with distinction as a volunteer in the Montauk Fire Department and was fire fighter of the year in 2017. He’s also a licensed captain, running guided tours of his Montauk oyster farming operation with his son and daughter who are also working the farm.
He’s a knowledgeable advocate for marine conservation and aquaculture and his efforts now help to restore water quality and balance in the estuaries of East Hampton.
He is a well-known community volunteer in Montauk and contributor to the Suffolk county food policy working group and has served on several marine conservation and aquaculture expert panels.
Mike believes in a government of the people, and strives to be a trustworthy friend to the community. As a Trustee, he vows to be open minded, to listen, and to protect the water and bays that are the natural assets of our Town.
Mike Martinsen is endorsed by the Democratic Party