2021 Candidate for Town Trustee
- Opened Trustee meetings to the public by moving them to Town Hall and televising them live
- Established an Accabonac Harbor mosquito larvae monitoring program
- Enlarged Georgica Pond’s water quality program, in partnership with Friends of Georgica Pond, the Village of East Hampton and The Nature Conservancy
- Expanded Sag Harbor’s water quality monitoring program, in partnership with Southampton Trustees and Sag Harbor Village
- Proactively pursued a long-term water quality improvement program for Wainscott Pond
- Held numerous public meetings on the Deep Water Wind Project, and are fully engaged in the Federal and State review process
- Promoted public beach access
- Created a horseshoe crab breeding study
- Increased the very popular oyster gardening program
- Spearheaded the Town’s ban of helium balloon release
- Educated students about Trustees’ responsibilities by visiting local schools
And we promise to continue to be actively engaged, searching for answers to the challenges of today and those of tomorrow.
John graduated from the University of Rhode Island with a degree in Zoology. After a stint with the Peace Corps in India, he settled in East Hampton, raising two boys with his wife Gale.
John has served as Director of the East Hampton Town Shellfish Hatchery for over twenty years. The shellfish produced by the Hatchery program yield direct benefits for baymen and recreational harvesters, as well as indirect benefits in improved water quality furnished by filter feeding shellfish.
By fostering cooperative working relationships with county, state, and federal agencies and nonprofit institutions and schools, the Hatchery’s projects provide opportunities for baymen to participate in culturing shellfish, as an additional way of remaining on the water.
John Aldred was elected Town Trustee in 2017. For the past 46 years he has worked largely on and around the water as:
- A lifeguard at Hither Hills State Park
- A research assistant in the ichthyology department at the New York Ocean Science Lab in Montauk
- A fisheries biologist at Multi-Aquaculture Systems’ fish farm in Napeague
- An environmental analyst with the Town’s Natural Resources Department
John Aldred is endorsed by the Democratic Party